Masoumeh Ebtekar: Iran's vice president infected by coronavirus
TEHRAN – Masoumeh Ebtekar, vice president of Iran for Women and Family Affairs, has tested positive for the coronavirus.
"Ms. Ebtekar showed signs of infection with coronavirus and was tested. The results came back positive," her adviser was quoted as saying by the state news agency IRNA.
The vice president is also known as the English-language spokeswoman for the 1979 hostage-takers who seized the US embassy in Tehran and sparked the 444-day diplomatic crisis.
Also on Thursday, Mujtaba Zulnur, the head of the Iranian parliament's security and foreign policy committee, said that he had tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Zulnur is a parliamentary member from the Qom province, which has so far featured the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases.
"Yes, I tested positive for the coronavirus. There is no need to worry, I am put under quarantine. God grant, our people will overcome the coronavirus," Zulnur said in video footage published on the Telegram channel of state TV network IRIB.
Hadi Khosrowshahi: Iran's ex-ambassador to ... 11:47 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
TEHRAN – Former Iranian ambassador to Vatican and prominent cleric Hadi Khosrowshahi has died of coronavirus, ...
Earlier this week, Alireza Vahabzadeh, an adviser to the health minister said that Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi was confirmed to have been infected. In addition, another lawmaker, Mahmoud Sadeghi also said that he had contracted the disease.
Iran has cancelled Friday prayers in the capital, Tehran, and elsewhere in the country. The move came in response to a drastic jump in the number of confirmed cases from 100 to 245, with 26 deaths.
Iran also banned Chinese citizens from entering the country.
Meanwhile, over 82,000 people worldwide have contracted the disease, of whom 2,800 have died and more than 32,000 have recovered.
- Coronavirus — German Embassy makes announcement for Pakistanis ...06:51 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- AIDS patients being provided free treatment, Pakistan parliament told06:32 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Aamir Masood becomes air marshal as promotions in PAF announced05:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- PM Imran approves 2nd phase of locusts control plan to compensate ...05:09 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- NCOC prepares guidelines for Eidul Azha04:25 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Actress Naya Rivera presumed dead after disappearance on boat trip ...01:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020