Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal freed after two months of royal detention
The billionaire prince was taken into custody in the kingdom’s sweeping crackdown on corruption some two months ago.
Family sources told Reuters that “he has he arrived home.”
Saudi Arabia arrests 11 princes, dozens of ... 10:41 AM | 5 Nov, 2017
JEDDAH - Saudi Arabia arrested 11 princes and dozens of current and former ministers in a sweeping crackdown as the ...
Prior to his release, the prince said in an exclusive interview at the opulent Ritz-Carlton hotel in Riyadh that he expected to be cleared of any wrongdoing and be released from custody within days.
Saudi officials are yet to confirm his release.
— ناصر الحميدي (@alhamidi_nasser) January 27, 2018
Prince Alwaleed had been confined at the Ritz-Carlton since early November, along with dozens of others, part of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s plan to consolidate control and reform oil superpower Saudi Arabia .
Among those set free on Saturday are also Waleed al-Ibrahim, the head of MBC television network, and Khalid al-Tuwaijiri, a former chief of the royal court.
They have paid substantial financial settlements, reports say - though the amounts have not been made public.
Media reports suggest that Mr al-Ibrahim's deal may have included his controlling share in MBC - the largest media company in the Middle East.
More than 200 princes, politicians, and wealthy businessmen were detained in the crackdown.
Prince Miteb bin Abdullah, who was released at the end of November, paid more than $1bn (£750m).
Many more of those detained remain in the Ritz Carlton under guard, until it reopens for Valentine's Day in mid-February.
Those who do not reach settlements before then are expected to be sent to prison to await trial.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019