Pakistani singer Zebunissa Bangash of Zeb-Haniya band performed in New York
"I'm sure there are artists out there who are fighting to do music," she says. "They certainly need recognition for that and they need support for that. But I'm not that artist."
"Artists are supposed to be dark, and they're supposed to be cool, and they're supposed to stay up all night," she says laughing. "A lot of times, I'm taunted by my colleagues and my peers. They're like, 'Oh, there you are, Miss Disney Princess. What's happening in your head?'"
More often than not, music and songs are what's happening in her head. But music isn't just for professionals in Pakistan: From lullabies to family gatherings to religion, music is a part of everyday life.
Several years ago, Zeb appeared on one of the country's most popular TV show, Coke Studio, and sang a song in Dari and Pashto, regional languages most Pakistanis didn't understand, accompanied by a traditional stringed instrument known as the rabab. The unorthodox performance was a huge success.
- ‘Sajid Khan asked me to hold his genitals’, Sherlyn Chopra ...11:55 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- American who enthused Bali was queer-friendly being deported11:50 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Netflix's big 4Q lifts video service above 200M subscribers11:24 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Two Levies personnel among eight killed after speeding bus turns ...11:05 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Joe Biden to sworn in as 46th US President today amid tight security10:45 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan’s only The All Girl band takes the internet by storm with ...07:17 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Chinese children's performance on Sohni Dharti winning hearts in ...07:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021