Jaswant Singh – Founding member of India’s BJP dies at 82
NEW DELHI – Former Indian politician Jaswant Singh, a close associate of ex-prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, died on Sunday following prolonged illness.
The 82-year-old died at 6:55am after a cardiac arrest at the Army Hospital (R&R) where he was being treated for Sepsis with Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, hospital authorities said.
Born in Jasol village of Rajasthan’s Barmer district in 1938, Singh went to Mayo College in Ajmer and joined the Army after passing out from NDA. He entered politics in the 1960s and became a Rajya Sabha member in 1980. Since then, he remained an MP till 2014 — he served as a member in both Houses.
Jaswant Singh was a retired officer of the Indian Army and was one of the founding members of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Prime Minister Narendra Modi remembered Singh’s “unique perspective on matters of politics and society”. “Jaswant Singh Ji served our nation diligently, first as a soldier and later during his long association with politics. During Atal Ji’s Government, he handled crucial portfolios and left a strong mark in the worlds of finance, defense and external affairs. Saddened by his demise,” Modi tweeted.
“He also contributed to the strengthening of the BJP. I will always remember our interactions,” he added.
Jaswant Singh Ji will be remembered for his unique perspective on matters of politics and society. He also contributed to the strengthening of the BJP. I will always remember our interactions. Condolences to his family and supporters. Om Shanti.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 27, 2020
In 2009, Singh was expelled from the party after a 30-year-long association. The expulsion came over his book, Jinnah: India, Partition, Independence, that the BJP leadership felt glorified Mohammad Ali Jinnah and criticised Sardar Patel for Partition.
Singh’s relationship with Prime Minister Modi always remained strained. As Gujarat chief minister, Modi banned Singh’s book in the state in August 2009.
- Eid Miladun Nabi — PIA announces special discount on flights for ...08:47 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Top UK general acknowledges Pakistan Army's efforts for regional peace08:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran fears second Covid-19 wave in polluted cities07:44 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Top US economist appreciates Pakistan’s handling of coronavirus ...07:13 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Police raid ex-Sindh governor Zubair’s house for his arrest06:38 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Is '50 Crore' truly a desi version of 'Money Heist'?02:28 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Yolanda Hadid shares new photo of Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik's baby ...12:08 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Zaid Ali T gifts his wife a brand new car11:27 AM | 19 Oct, 2020
- PTA unblocks Tiktok in Pakistan03:16 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- PCB announces squad for Zimbabwe series01:53 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Captain (retd) Safdar's arrest occurred under "extreme pressure", ...12:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2020
- Nawaz Sharif’s summons posted in local newspapers11:19 AM | 19 Oct, 2020