Japan hosts women-focused conference amid economy push
Tokyo will play host to the international conference with Liberian President and Nobel laureate Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Marillyn Hewson, chief executive of US aerospace and security giant Lockheed Martin, among the speakers.
Japan's premier is set to deliver the keynote speech as the two-day conference opens. Since sweeping to power in late 2012 on a ticket to kick start Japan's flagging economy, the conservative Abe has pledged to push for women to get more senior roles in politics and business as one of the pillars of his Abenomics growth blitz.
The conference starts just hours after a series of weak inflation and spending figures underscore Japan's wobbly economic recovery and the challenges to Abe's efforts to conquer years of deflation and laggard growth.
While he has pushed forward plans for big government spending and massive central bank easing, the pace of promised reforms to Japan's highly regulated economy has proven to be tougher.
- US formally invites Pakistan to climate change summit after initial ...12:31 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Security forces arrest five TTP terrorists in Sindh11:02 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- TLP protests – Sheikh Rasheed arrives in Lahore for third round of ...10:30 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM – Pakistan team practice in Harare ahead of first T2010:18 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Amir Liaquat's Nagin dance video goes viral06:19 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021