Syrian army enters key northern city after 6 years
BEIRUT – The Syrian army entered the key northern city of Manbij for the first time in six years on Friday, a spokesman said in a televised statement.
The announcement came moments after the Kurds, left exposed by a US pledge to pull out its own troops, asked for the regime's help to face a threatened Turkish offensive.
The Syrian army spokesman said the national flag was raised in Manbij , a key city which lies about 30 kilometres south of the Turkish border.
US ‘to withdraw’ about 7,000 troops from ... 10:15 AM | 21 Dec, 2018
NEW YORK – The Trump administration is withdrawing from Afghanistan roughly 7,000 troops -- around half of American ...
"We invite the Syrian government forces... to assert control over the areas our forces have withdrawn from, in particularly Manbij , and to protect these areas against a Turkish invasion," the statement said.
Kurdish fighters still based there are part of the coalition-backed Syrian Democratic Forces alliance battling the Islamic State militant group.
- PCB to refund match tickets12:13 AM | 28 Jan, 2020
- PM Imran for precautionary measures, strategy to tackle Coronavirus ...11:55 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Bangladeshi journalists find Pakistan safe for cricket; praise ...11:52 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Carrefour Pakistan supports 50 deserving families in Lahore07:10 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Deal of the Century? Palestine rejects Trump's proposed Middle East ...06:57 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Khalil ur Rehman's Meray Paas tum Ho trends worldwide on Twitter12:47 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Bambi is next up for Disney ‘Live-Action’ remake12:32 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Here’s everything that happened at the 4th Hum Style Awards12:25 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019