Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy’s "A Girl in the River" shortlisted for Oscar nomination
LAHORE (Staff Report) - The latest documentary of Pakistan's only Oscar winner Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy has been shortlisted for nomination by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences for the 88th Academy Awards for the Best Documentary - Short subject category.
"A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness" is among ten other documentaries from across the world, out of which only five will be finally nominated for the award.
A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness is a SOC Films and Home Box Office (HBO) production film and is set to air in 2016.
The documentary is based on the controversial practice of “honour killing” in Pakistan and follows the story of an eighteen-year-old girl, who is a rare survivor of an honour killing attempt and falls in love with someone and lives to tell the tale.
Acclaimed journalist Tina Brown and renowned documentary producer Sheila Nevins are also among production team along with Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy.
Chinoy previously won Pakistan’s first Academy Award for her documentary "Saving Face" at the 84th Oscar Awards in 2012.
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Protests against racism, police violence sparked in major Australian ...10:02 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Complete lockdown in Islamabad on Saturday and Sunday09:45 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan approaches 93,894 cases of coronavirus – 1,935 confirmed ...09:20 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pak army shot down yet another Indian spying quadcopter in Khanjar ...08:26 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Kylie Jenner tops Forbes' list of the highest-paid celebrities in the ...03:37 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020