Tokyo Olympics - German gymnasts wear full-body suits as protest against 'sexualisation'
The German women's gymnastics team has made a powerful statement as they all dress up in full-body suits at the Tokyo Olympics.
In an Olympic first, the women projected a bold statement as the following move was to promote freedom of choice whilst encouraging women to be comfortable.
The team is composed of Sarah Voss, Pauline Schaefer-Betz, Elisabeth Seitz and Kim Bui who competed in red and white unitards along leotards and leggings extending to the ankles.
Furthermore, they wore similar outfits during training on Thursday and said they could choose to wear them again in competition.
Voss said the team had discussed their choice of attire before competing on Sunday "As you are growing up as a woman, it is quite difficult to get used to your new body in a way, "We want to make sure everyone feels comfortable and we show everyone that they can wear whatever they want and look amazing, feel amazing, whether it is in a long leotard or a short one."
German gymnasts' decision to wear unitards earned them praise from fellow competitors as they lauded their narrative.
Earlier, gymnastics from across the globe have often been subjected to widespread sexual and physical abuse. The increase in reported cases has resulted in the introduction of new safety protocols.
The female participant has a standard outfit which includes a leotard, with long, half-length sleeved and sleeveless garments allowed. Outfits covering legs are authorised in international competitions but exclusively for religious reasons.
Two more Pakistani players eliminated from ... 11:46 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
Another two Pakistani athletes were eliminated from Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday as they failed to qualify for the next ...
- LIVE: PTI supporters in Imran Khan's long march set police van on ...11:03 PM | 25 May, 2022
- All educational institutions to remain closed in Rawalpindi tomorrow09:28 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Another child paralyzed as Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 202208:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- HSA, UNFPA mark Int'l day of Midwife 2022 and day to end Obstetric ...08:14 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Pakistan Army strongly condemns sentencing of Kashmiri leader Yasin ...08:01 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Coke Studio 14 sets new popularity records in India04:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022