12 killed as chairlift collapses near Murree
According to rescue sources, the rope of chairlift named 'Doli' by locals connecting Banwari Village to Charra Pani collapsed after which the lift fell into a deep gorge.
DIG Hazara Saeed Wazir confirmed the number of fatalities and added that four members of a family were among the dead.
He also said that technical experts will conduct an inquiry in to the incident.
The 'doli' cable car was situated over a nullah (drain) between Charra Pani and Banwari, Hazara.
"There was a strong wind which led to the cable car breaking and falling,” an eyewitness, Omair informed.
The injured were taken to Holy Family Hospital in Rawalpindi, rescue sources said, adding that the 12 deceased had died on the spot. The bodies of the victims have been handed over to their families.
The Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Chief Minister Punjab Shehbaz Sharif and PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari expressed sorrow over the tragic incident. Bilawal called upon the government to take stern action against those responsible.
- PM Imran to seek fresh vote of confidence from parliament11:40 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Quetta Gladiators beat Multan Sultans by 22 runs11:05 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Here are complete unofficial results of Senate Election 202109:53 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Peshawar Zalmi fined for slow over-rate in match against ...09:15 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran Khan’s vote for Senate polls was also rejected?09:04 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021