Bring back Husain Haqqani, Supreme Court directs NAB in memo probe
A bench headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Mian Saqib Nasir heard the Memogate scandal on Thursday and during the hearing, Justice Nisar remarked that NAB had agreements with United Nations Security Council (UNSC) pertaining to the extradition of suspects.
“NAB chairman can issue warrants for the former ambassador’s return,” Justice Nisar added and tasked the accountability bureau to bring him back.
The bench, however, observed that there are difficulties owing to a lack of repatriation agreements between Pakistan and other countries.
The apex court recommended that laws be drafted for bringing back suspects to the country, directing the Parliament to start legislation on repatriation agreements with other countries within a month.
Haqqani is accused of delivering a memo to retired US Navy admiral Mike Mullen through Mansoor Ijaz in 2011 allegedly requesting US to support Pakistani civilian government against its military establishment after the May 2 raid.
An FIR was registered on March 10 on behalf of FIA. Subsequently, red warrants were issued for the former ambassador. He had also appeared before the apex court.
- All educational institutions to remain closed in Rawalpindi tomorrow09:28 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Another child paralyzed as Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 202208:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- HSA, UNFPA mark Int'l day of Midwife 2022 and day to end Obstetric ...08:14 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Pakistan Army strongly condemns sentencing of Kashmiri leader Yasin ...08:01 PM | 25 May, 2022
- PTA clears the air on blocking internet services amid political ...07:36 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Coke Studio 14 sets new popularity records in India04:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022