This South American country just sentenced its president for 20 years in jail for murder
The decision by a panel of three judges marked the end of a historic trial that began in November 2007.
Bouterse, 74, is currently on an official visit in China and will have two weeks to appeal against the conviction. The president has previously denied the allegations.
Opposition parties called for the resignation of Bouterse, who was in China on an official visit when the sentence was handed down on Friday, the BBC reported.
Bourtese led Suriname during the 1980s as head of a military government and de facto leader.
Bouterse led Suriname through the 1980s as head of a military government, then assumed office again in 2010 and secured re-election five years later.
- No coronavirus case in Pakistan; screening continues at airports12:24 AM | 20 Feb, 2020
- Rothschild suit revives family's Vienna past10:22 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- 3 youth martyred in Pulwama as India launches another anti-Kashmir ...10:08 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Kashmir issue no more a bilateral but international human rights ...09:55 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- WWF-Pakistan stresses innovative technologies for wastewater ...06:53 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Harry Styles reportedly mugged at knifepoint on Valentine's Day01:42 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- UN chief meets Mahira Khan, thanks her for ‘extraordinary support’02:59 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Justin Bieber admits to being 'reckless' with Selena when they dated11:17 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019