Dalit beheaded in India for being 'impure' and using flour mill
The incident occurred on Tuesday evening in Kadaria village of Bageshwar bordering Pithoragarh. The victim Sohan had gone to a flour mill owned by Kundan Kumar Singh to take back his wheat flour, Indian express reported.
“Sohan Ram was abused for using the flour mill and when he protestedhe was attacked by a sickle,” police superintendent Sukhbir Singh told AFP.
“We have arrested the accused under various sections of the IPC (Indian Penal Code).”
Dalits or “untouchables” are commonly assigned with menial jobs under India’s deeply entrenched social hierarchy.
Concept of 'untouchability' has been outlawed in India but many Hindus still believe that contact with a person of low caste will render them impure.
Dalits form 16.6 per cent of the national population or roughly 200 million but continue to face oppression six decades after India banned caste discrimination.
- US train riders ‘held up phones as woman was raped’, could face ...01:45 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Here’s how Pakistan Navy detected and blocked Indian submarine from ...01:20 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Drone flies lungs between two hospitals for transplant patient in ...12:55 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- T-20 World Cup: Scotland beat Papua New Guinea by 17 runs12:13 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Kumail Nanjiani dressed up in a Pakistani designer at Eternals ...02:00 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new fashion look gets trolled by netizens05:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Alka Yagnik has the sweetest birthday wish for Imran Abbas05:10 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021