Traders end countrywide strike after agreement with govt
Condition of CNIC has been deferred till 31st January of the next year
ISLAMABAD – The business community on Wednesday called off a countrywide shutter-down strike after reaching an agreement with the government.
Traders had launched the strike on Tuesday against the imposition of tax and condition of presenting CNIC on sales and purchase of goods up to Rs50,000.
Adviser to the Prime Minister on Finance Dr Abdul Hafeez Sheikh along with Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) Chairman Shabbar Zaidi, PTI bigwig Jahangir Tareen and representatives of traders, announced the agreement at a press conference in Islamabad.
Succumbing to the pressure of the protesting businessmen, the government has deferred condition of CNIC till 31st January of the next year.
Enumerating main points of the agreement, Shaikh said that a special desk will be established at the FBR to resolve problems being faced by traders' community.
He said an officer of grade 20 or 21 will be appointed in that desk, which will hold meeting with traders' representatives on a monthly basis.
He said annual limit electricity bill for registration in sales tax has been increased from Rs600,000 to Rs1.2 million.
Any shop of 1000 square feet will be absolved from sales tax in consultation with traders, Shaikh said.
He said that the decision for the registration of retailers, who are doing wholesale business , will be taken in consultation with traders' committee.
The adviser said that the government will soon reach out to jewellers association to resolve their problems on a priority basis.
Traders' representatives lauded the government for addressing their concerns and assured to jointly work to strengthen the country's economy .
- Pakistani police hunt PM Imran Khan's nephew over PIC attack11:41 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan to chair 63rd session of UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs09:54 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- TCM: Pakistani scientists successfully test first traditional Chinese ...09:22 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan ranked the world's best holiday destination for 202008:56 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran Khan meets Saudi crown prince on day-long visit08:39 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Brad Pitt addresses rumours regarding dating actress Alia Shawkat02:12 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Khuda Aur Mohabbat is coming again with season 301:59 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Tabla legend Ustad Ajmal Khan passes away in Islamabad12:50 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019