Argentina, Portugal move home after defeat in pre-quarterfinals
Messi’s Argentina lost 4-3 to France and Ronaldo’s Portugal went down 2-1 to Uruguay, leaving the tournament despite its two best known and most loved players.
Ronaldo struck a hat-trick in his opening game — a thrilling 3-3 draw with Spain, including a brilliant late free-kick to level the match.
He also grabbed the only goal in the 1-0 victory over Morocco.
Messi was in headlines when he controlled a cross-field ball with his thigh, showing incredible technique, before a deft second touch and pinpoint finish against Nigeria.
France, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, Spain, Russia , Croatia, Denmark, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Sweden, Switzerland, Colombia, Belgium and England qualified for the FIFA World Cup 2018 Round of 16 (pre-quarterfinals).
Defending champions Germany are the biggest shock of the tournament till now after crashing out in the group stage following their 0-2 loss to South Korea in a Group F match.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019