Argentina, Portugal move home after defeat in pre-quarterfinals
Messi’s Argentina lost 4-3 to France and Ronaldo’s Portugal went down 2-1 to Uruguay, leaving the tournament despite its two best known and most loved players.
Ronaldo struck a hat-trick in his opening game — a thrilling 3-3 draw with Spain, including a brilliant late free-kick to level the match.
He also grabbed the only goal in the 1-0 victory over Morocco.
Messi was in headlines when he controlled a cross-field ball with his thigh, showing incredible technique, before a deft second touch and pinpoint finish against Nigeria.
France, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Sweden, Switzerland, Colombia, Belgium and England qualified for the FIFA World Cup 2018 Round of 16 (pre-quarterfinals).
Defending champions Germany are the biggest shock of the tournament till now after crashing out in the group stage following their 0-2 loss to South Korea in a Group F match.
- Top PR, event management agencies announce Pakistan’s first council ...07:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- UNGA session: FM Qureshi leaves for New York06:52 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mirza Ishtiaq Baig included in PML-N’s economic advisory council06:12 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- GSV overwhelmed by PFL franchise bids from around the world05:43 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mathira claps back at trolls with an explosive statement: ‘Don’t ...04:57 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- TikTok star Jannat Mirza's new video goes viral04:35 PM | 20 Sep, 2021