Massacre in Manhattan: 8 killed, 11 injured in New York terrorist attack
Following the deadly strike, a 29-year-old driver came out of the pickup carrying weapons identified as paintball gun and pellet gun to hit the people around. The incident took place new West Side of Lower Manhattan, close to schools where children and parent gathered to celebrate Halloween.
However, the attacker named by media as Sayfullo Saipov, an Uzbek national was shot by police officer and arrested. Saipov is an immigrant who got settled in the US in 2010 and living in Florida.
CBS News quoting a security sources claimed a writing note was also recovered from the vehicle related to Islamic State.
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio says “This was an act of terror and a particularly cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them”.
He added: "We know that this action was intended to break our spirit. But we also know that New Yorkers are strong, New Yorkers are resilient and our spirit will never be moved by an act of violence and an act meant to intimidate us."
President Donald Trump condemned the attack and called the attacker as “very sick” and a “deranged person”.
Trump in another tweet say, "We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, out country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enought!".
According to police, the attacker , who was currently staying in New Jersey, had got the Home Deport pickup on rent and drove it down a bike lane before ramming into a school bus in which four injured including two children.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the attack and said that they are observing the situation in New York City closely. He also expressed condolence to the families.
We’re monitoring the situation in New York City closely – my condolences to the families of all those affected by today’s attack.— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) October 31, 2017
It is feared that post-attack environment would be hard on Muslim community in the US as the previous policies of Donald Trump provides base to the suspicions.
After being elected as president, Trump had imposed travel ban on six countries, where majority is Muslim, saying the steps were being taken to ensure the citizens of America.
Vehicles as Weapons
It is notable that use of vehicles by IS militants during previous attacks in Europe proved lethal weapons. For authorities, it is extremely difficult to know where it could take place as there is no use of explosive or weapons in such attacks.
The IS militants are using the tactic widely from 2008 after several attacks in Israel.
On August 17, at least 13 people were killed after a driver deliberately rammed a van into people near Barcelona's La Rambla.
In March, five people were killed and scores injured after a 52-year-old British convert to Islam, Khalid Masood drove into crows on Westminster Bridge in London.
- Pakistan, India face off in first Olympic event final in 53 years11:52 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Travellers vaccinated with Sinopharm, Sinovac allowed to enter Saudi ...11:32 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- INS Vikrant: India's first indigenous aircraft carrier begins sea ...10:40 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Abdul Qayyum Niazi: Who is the new PM of Azad Jammu & Kashmir?10:12 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Wife accuses Yo Yo Honey Singh of domestic violence05:34 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Aima Baig dances her heart out on sister’s mayoun (VIDEO)04:32 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Mahira Khan leaves fans thrilled with first teaser of ‘Prince ...04:01 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021