UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ after North Korea ends freeze of nuclear tests
UNITED NATIONS - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is “deeply concerned” that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) has ended a moratorium on nuclear and missile tests, his spokesman has said in a statement.
According to media reports, DPRK leader Kim Jong-un had announced that his country was no longer bound to the self-imposed ban. He said that his country would continue developing nuclear programmes and introduce a "new strategic weapon" in the near future.
His statement came after the United States missed a year-end deadline for a restart of denuclearisation talks.
“The Secretary-General very much hopes that the tests will not resume, in line with relevant Security Council resolutions,” Spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in the statement issued on Wednesday night.
“Non-proliferation remains a fundamental pillar of global nuclear security and must be preserved.”
The statement added that UN chief has also reiterated his support for the resumption of dialogue aimed at bringing about “the complete and verifiable” denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
“Diplomatic engagement is the only pathway to sustainable peace,” Dujarric also said.
- Coronavirus — German Embassy makes announcement for Pakistanis ...06:51 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- AIDS patients being provided free treatment, Pakistan parliament told06:32 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Aamir Masood becomes air marshal as promotions in PAF announced05:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- PM Imran approves 2nd phase of locusts control plan to compensate ...05:09 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- NCOC prepares guidelines for Eidul Azha04:25 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Actress Naya Rivera presumed dead after disappearance on boat trip ...01:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020