UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ after North Korea ends freeze of nuclear tests
UNITED NATIONS - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is “deeply concerned” that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) has ended a moratorium on nuclear and missile tests, his spokesman has said in a statement.
According to media reports, DPRK leader Kim Jong-un had announced that his country was no longer bound to the self-imposed ban. He said that his country would continue developing nuclear programmes and introduce a "new strategic weapon" in the near future.
His statement came after the United States missed a year-end deadline for a restart of denuclearisation talks.
“The Secretary-General very much hopes that the tests will not resume, in line with relevant Security Council resolutions,” Spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in the statement issued on Wednesday night.
“Non-proliferation remains a fundamental pillar of global nuclear security and must be preserved.”
The statement added that UN chief has also reiterated his support for the resumption of dialogue aimed at bringing about “the complete and verifiable” denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
“Diplomatic engagement is the only pathway to sustainable peace,” Dujarric also said.
- Kashmiris set to observe Indian Republic Day as Black Day07:12 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- Iran to host technology investors from 8 countries including Pakistan ...07:08 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- PBM to launch Orphan Donors Support programme to help widows07:00 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan grieved over losses by earthquake in Turkey06:28 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- Brad Pitt takes ownership of mistakes that ruined his and Aniston's ...01:55 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- PISA 2020: Sajal Aly bags nomination for ‘Best TV Actress’ award01:45 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- I’m sorry I take none of what you said seriously: Anupam Kher ...04:59 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019