Disabled Muslim man called 'Pakistani' for not standing up during India’s anthem
“I sat upright as a mark of respect when the anthem was played, but still people behind me started abusing me for not being able to stand up as according to them I did it intentionally to show disrespect towards the national anthem of India ,” the physically challenged man said in a Facebook post.
“I was singing along while sitting. I heard someone commenting and calling me a Pakistani . Two men behind me were also making abusive remarks against me,” Ali added.
However, according to media reports, Ali has stated that he will approach the Supreme Court and will submit a report against the ordeal he had faced.
Hitting out at ‘Pseudo nationalism’ in ‘New India’, the man said “Movie halls seem to have become the new battlefield of the Nation where people prove their patriotism and nationalism.”
In December last year, the Supreme Court of India had made it compulsory for all the cinema halls in India to play the national anthem before the feature film starts and had ordered all those present in the hall to stand up to show respect to the national anthem .
A week after its verdict, the top court did exempt persons with disabilities from standing up.
"At our organisation, where we closely work with people with disabilities in all seven northeastern states, we sing our National Anthem every day. I don't think we need to prove our patriotism by standing inside a cinema hall," Ali told ANI.
- FIA arrested 60-year-old woman for deceiving men on Facebook using ...01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Kashmir issue is not an internal affair of India, says FM Quresh11:24 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Two killed in Gujranwala van, rickshaw collision09:58 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan condemns Indian CDS remarks about Kashmiri children09:17 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ariana Grande being sued for copyright over hit single '7 Rings' by ...03:54 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Malala biopic director admits he still receives death threats03:39 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Prince Harry makes first public appearance since royal split03:24 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019