Disabled Muslim man called 'Pakistani' for not standing up during India’s anthem
“I sat upright as a mark of respect when the anthem was played, but still people behind me started abusing me for not being able to stand up as according to them I did it intentionally to show disrespect towards the national anthem of India,” the physically challenged man said in a Facebook post.
“I was singing along while sitting. I heard someone commenting and calling me a Pakistani. Two men behind me were also making abusive remarks against me,” Ali added.
However, according to media reports, Ali has stated that he will approach the Supreme Court and will submit a report against the ordeal he had faced.
Hitting out at ‘Pseudo nationalism’ in ‘New India’, the man said “Movie halls seem to have become the new battlefield of the Nation where people prove their patriotism and nationalism.”
In December last year, the Supreme Court of India had made it compulsory for all the cinema halls in India to play the national anthem before the feature film starts and had ordered all those present in the hall to stand up to show respect to the national anthem.
A week after its verdict, the top court did exempt persons with disabilities from standing up.
"At our organisation, where we closely work with people with disabilities in all seven northeastern states, we sing our National Anthem every day. I don't think we need to prove our patriotism by standing inside a cinema hall," Ali told ANI.
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- FBR directed to stop menace of fake and flying invoices10:10 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Kashmiris observing India’s independence day as Black Day across ...09:28 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- FIR lodged against Saba Qamar and Bilal Saeed05:09 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020