Delight as Serena Williams ‘welcomes baby girl’
Williams, who will turn 36 later this month, was admitted to the St Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach, Florida on Wednesday before going into labor overnight.
There was no immediate confirmation of the birth from Williams' representatives.
Elder sister Venus Williams described herself as "super excited" after being informed of the reports concerning the baby as she walked on to the court for her third-round match at the US Open in New York.
Williams, who is engaged to Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, was swiftly greeted with an avalanche of congratulations from well-wishers.
"Congrats Serena!!! So much joy for you!!!" Spanish star Rafa Nadal wrote on Twitter.
Congrats Serena!!! So much joy for you!!! https://t.co/u4edTrqIbB
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) September 1, 2017
Media reports said 23-time Grand Slam singles champion Serena -- who revealed she was pregnant in April -- was induced overnight Thursday.
Williams has vowed to return to competitive tennis in January to defend her Australian Open title, which she won while newly pregnant.
- Wait is over as Cambridge announces O level results of Pakistani ...09:03 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- German vets perform surgery to rid Pakistani elephant of tooth ...08:56 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- PAKvNED – Pakistan seal ODI series victory over Netherlands08:28 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Naimal Khawar's latest photoshoot draws severe backlash05:40 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Naimal’s new photoshoot draws severe backlash06:10 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022