Why did PTA just ban Xiaomi phones? The answer is scarier than you think
LAHORE - Although Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has officially not announced why it banned the sale of Xiaomi phones in Pakistan, a technical expert has hinted that data theft was the main reason behind the decision.
Rafay Baloch, an I.T expert, pointed out on Facebook that Xiaomi phones were allegedly stealing user data and sending it to Chinese servers.
The IT guru applauded the decision of the regulatory authority and said that Pakistan's neighbor India had also banned the smartphone for the same reason.
The website says: "We have stopped smartphone sales in Pakistan until further notice.The Pakistani Concerned authority (PTA) through Mr Nauman Khalid has demanded that XiaomiPK.com has to stop the sale/marketing of all Mi mobile devices."
Other observers, however, have taken another line, saying that Xiaomi had not registered itself in Pakistan, due to which it was banned.
XiaomiPK reportedly started selling Xiaomi smartphones in Pakistan on July 11th 2016, without obtaining a No-Objection Certificate from the relevant government agency, a preliminary requirement for a foreign business to operate in Pakistan.
- EU to challenge China-US trade agreement at WTO12:02 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Kashmir issue is not an internal affair of India, says FM Quresh11:24 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Two killed in Gujranwala van, rickshaw collision09:58 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan condemns Indian CDS remarks about Kashmiri children09:17 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi, Pompeo discuss bilateral cooperation, regional security ...08:47 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Malala biopic director admits he still receives death threats03:39 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Prince Harry makes first public appearance since royal split03:24 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Birthday girl Sajal Aly gets heartwarming message from Ahad Raza's mom03:06 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019