At least 4 dead, several injured after powerful quake rocks Indonesia
JAKARTA – Four people died and several were injured after a powerful undersea earthquake rocked Indonesia's heavily populated Java island, triggering a brief tsunami warning, the national disaster agency said Saturday.
The 6.9 magnitude quake on Friday evening sent residents fleeing to higher ground, while many in the capital Jakarta ran into the streets.
An official from Indonesia's national disaster agency warned the quake could generate a tsunami as high as three metres (10 feet), but the alert was lifted several hours later.
Three people died of heart attacks as the strong quake rocked the region, agency spokesman Agus Wibowo said on Saturday.
Another person fell to his death while trying to flee his house when the jolt happened, he said.
Four more people were injured and more than 200 buildings were damaged, with some 13 houses destroyed, he added.
Over 1,000 people, who had earlier evacuated to temporary shelters, returned home after authorities convinced them it was safe to do so, Wibowo said.
- Japan extends grant assistance worth 318m JPY to Pakistan09:15 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- PM Imran welcomes UNSC members for again taking up IIOJ&K dispute08:35 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Shan Masood, Muhammad Abbas uplift Pakistan in first England Test12:59 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Coronavirus — Public sector schools opened in KP11:45 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- Independence Day — PIA announces major cut in fares09:38 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- Indian TV actor Sameer Sharma dies by suicide03:26 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- Angelina Jolie wants reconciliation between Brad Pitt and kids02:57 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- I had an inferiority complex and grew up applying fairness creams: ...01:31 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020