Barack Obama plans farewell speech in his hometown Chicago
In an email to supporters, Obama said the speech would give him "a chance to say thank you for this amazing journey, to celebrate the ways you've changed this country for the better these past eight years, and to offer some thoughts on where we all go from here."
The president, who has been in Hawaii on vacation since Dec. 16, said he was "just beginning to write my remarks."
Obama got his start in politics as a state legislator. He gave his presidential victory speech at a massive rally in Chicago's Grant Park on Nov. 4, 2008. His presidential library will also be located in Chicago.
The Obama family will stay in Washington until Sasha, 15, a sophomore at the private Sidwell Friends school, graduates from high school.
Obama is scheduled to travel to Capitol Hill on Wednesday to meet with lawmakers from his party to discuss plans for protecting the Affordable Care Act.
The event is planned by the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, which has had that responsibility since 1901. This will be the 58th presidential inaugural.
- Brace Yourselves for the Live Broadcast Launch of TECNO’s Spark 5 ...01:19 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Protests against racism, police violence sparked in major Australian ...10:02 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Complete lockdown in Islamabad on Saturday and Sunday09:45 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Kylie Jenner tops Forbes' list of the highest-paid celebrities in the ...03:37 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020