India: Gang-rape survivor attacked with acid for fifth time despite police protection
The attack happened amid round-the-clock police protection she had been receiving because of the previous attacks, which were linked to a property dispute.
Anger is growing among her relatives and locals at the authorities' inability to protect her.
She was allegedly gang-raped and first attacked with acid by two men in 2008 over a property dispute, the details of which are not clear. The same two men were then accused of throwing acid at her twice more - in 2012 and 2013 - to try and get her to drop the criminal charges against them.
In March, she was attacked again while travelling on a train with her daughter. This time she was forced to drink acid.
Two men are facing trial for all of the attacks but were released on bail in April.
Such acid attacks are common in India, with hundreds of women being attacked each year.
Dalits are still fighting untouchability in India. Dalits are at the bottom of the Hindu caste system and despite laws to protect them, they still face widespread discrimination in the Hindu-majority nation.
- Pakistan, India face off in first Olympic event final in 53 years11:52 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Travellers vaccinated with Sinopharm, Sinovac allowed to enter Saudi ...11:32 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- INS Vikrant: India's first indigenous aircraft carrier begins sea ...10:40 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Abdul Qayyum Niazi: Who is the new PM of Azad Jammu & Kashmir?10:12 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Wife accuses Yo Yo Honey Singh of domestic violence05:34 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Aima Baig dances her heart out on sister’s mayoun (VIDEO)04:32 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Mahira Khan leaves fans thrilled with first teaser of ‘Prince ...04:01 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021