Iranian woman who removed hijab in public sentenced to prison
The woman, who has not been officially named, was found guilty of "encouraging moral corruption", Tehran prosecutor Abbas Jafari-Dolatabadi was quoted as saying by the semiofficial Tasnim news agency.
The woman sentenced in the capital, Tehran, on Wednesday was jailed for three months without parole.
Dolatbandi shared that 21 months of the woman's sentence had been suspended and that she was in need of medical treatment. He however criticised the suspension of the majority of her sentence and argued that she should serve the full term of her penalty.
According to the Iranian judiciary’s Mizan Online news agency, the woman had indicated she would appeal the verdict.
Iranian court fines $260 to women for wearing ... 07:18 PM | 16 Sep, 2015
TEHRAN (APP) - A Tehran court Wednesday fined two women $260 for violating the Islamic dress code by not wearing their ...
Some reports said the woman was Nargess Husseini, 32, who had been arrested during a recent wave of peaceful protests against compulsory veiling in Iran.
Earlier this year, Iranian authorities announced they had detained 29 women who removed their head scarves as part of a campaign against the country's mandatory Islamic dress code.
Police claimed the women had been “tricked” into removing their veil by a propaganda campaign being conducted by Iranians living abroad.
Most of those detained have been released without charge.
Since the Iranian revolution in 1979, women have been forced to cover their hair according to Islamic law on modesty.
Morality police launch regular crackdowns on those who are not fully respecting rules relating to the hijab.
- Aamir Liaquat spotted rebuking Karachi traffic cop publicly in viral ...11:24 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- UK court tells Pakistan's NAB to pay billions to Broadsheet by Aug 1310:16 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Pakistan’s first meme auctioned for $52,00009:40 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sindh SHOs permitted to take action against Covid SOPs’ violations08:45 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Shahroz Sabzwari shares his two cents regarding Sadaf Kanwal's item ...04:34 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021