World Cancer Day 2019: Timely detection can help Cancer survive
The 26-year-old shopkeeper told Daily Pakistan that he had already had six sessions of chemotherapy at Jinnah Hospital Hospital, where he spent about Rs200,000 for total treatment.
“I am thankful to the Punjab government and especially former chief minister Shehbaz Sharif, who had granted me free medicine and concession on medical tests,” Asif, who is a resident of Sahiwal, narrated his ordeal.
Doctors have told Asif that since his cancer has been identified at an early stage, it could be cured.
Doctors and Cancer experts said that all types of cancers are curable if they are diagnosed at early stages and proper medical care is provided.
According to the leading organisation in cancer control, Union for International Cancer Control, 8.2 million patients die of cancer every year across the globe and about 1.4m new patients get affected.
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon Dr Abid Qazi said that creating awareness among common people was necessary so that they can contact doctors if they feel a change in their bodies. He stressed that the media too could play a huge role in creating awareness.
This year, the Union for International Cancer Control, which organizes World Cancer Day, is launching a new 3-year campaign with the theme: “I Am and I Will.” It calls for a personal commitment to help reduce the global burden of cancer.
Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar has said that an effective awareness campaign against cancer is very important to effectively treat this crippling disease.
Shaukat Khanum Cancer hospital is an exemplary medical facility for patients in this context.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally and is estimated to account for 9.6 million death in 2018. Lung, prostate, colorectal, stomach and liver cancer are the most common types of cancer in men, while breast, colorectal, lung, cervix and thyroid cancer are the most common among women.
- PTI minister tells why PM Imran can’t expel French ambassador11:55 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- 12 security personnel taken hostage by TLP protesters recovered: ...10:53 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Syria goes to the polls next month09:01 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Marastyal – KPK launches mobile app to lodge complaints against ...08:38 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Unknown persons booked for disrespecting 'King Priest' at Mohenjo-Daro08:04 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Arjun Rampal, Neil Nitin Mukesh test positive for Covid-1902:01 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021