Animal rights activists cheer as UAE bans keeping wild animals as pets
Wildcats including endangered cheetahs are known to have been domesticated in the UAE and neighboring Gulf countries as status symbols, with some even spotted being taken outside in the middle of big cities.
In October, one such outing with five tigers on a beach near Dubai's iconic Burj Al-Arab Hotel was captured on video and went viral on social media, while others have been filmed driving around with lions.
Such animals can now only be kept at zoos, wildlife parks, circuses, breeding and research centres. "Anyone who takes a leopard, cheetah or any other kind of exotic animal out in public will face a jail term of up to six months and a fine of up to 500,000 dirhams ($136,000)," it added.
Al-Ittihad, an Arabic daily, said those who use wild animals to "terrorize" others would face jail or fine of up to 700,000 dirhams.
The move has been welcomed by animal welfare activists.
"We welcome and congratulate the UAE Government in taking this important initiative, which we wish to be a milestone for the rest of the countries, not just in the region, but also in the world,” he said.
The legislation also imposes new restrictions on traditional pets.
Dog owners are required to get permits and keep the animals on leashes in public, the reports said, adding that those who fail to obtain the licences face fines of up to 100,000 dirhams.
- PAKvENG: Pakistan beat England by 3 runs in 4th T20I11:02 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Ishaq Dar due in Pakistan tonight by flight carrying PM Shehbaz Sharif08:15 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- 'I don't want an army chief of my choice; just want appointment on ...07:25 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Dananeer fangirls over Yami Gautum at Chicago South Asian Film ...06:40 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Hania Aamir and Farhan Saeed set the dance floor on fire at HUM Award ...05:17 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Humayun Saeed's Netflix debut 'The Crown' all set to release in ...04:32 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022