US-Iran tensions: Iraqi parliament passes resolution to end foreign troops presence
BAGHDAD – Iraq’s parliament on Sunday passed a resolution calling for the government to oust the foreign troops from military bases after an American airstrike killed top Iranian commander in Baghdad.
The move comes after missiles fired at Baghdad enclave where the US embassy is located and an airbase near the capital late Saturday.
The strikes, which have not been claimed by any one so far, pushed US President Donald Trump to warn Iran of striking its 52 sites.
The resolution asks Iraq’s government to end the presence of foreign troops invited by the country in 2014 to fight against Daesh. Some 5,200 US soldiers are collaborating with local troops to prevent a resurgence of Daesh in Iraq.
The resolution says, “The government commits to revoke its request for assistance from the international coalition fighting Islamic State due to the end of military operations in Iraq and the achievement of victory”.
“The Iraqi government must work to end the presence of any foreign troops on Iraqi soil and prohibit them from using its land, airspace or water for any reason.”
It is unclear how the resolutions would work as these are, unlike the laws, are non-binding to the government.
Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi, however, urged parliament earlier on Sunday to oust the foreign troop as soon as possible.
“Despite the internal and external difficulties that we might face, it remains best for Iraq on principle and practically,” Abdul Mahdi told parliament in a speech.
On the other hand, the US is deploying an additional 3,500 troops to Iraq, Kuwait and other parts of the Middle East amid heightened tension following the death of General Qasem Soleimani.
- Hayme Ana from Diriliş: Ertuğrul is a phenomenal actress: Aisha ...12:38 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Better compliance of SOPs by people helped to contain spread of ...12:37 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Bollywood choreographer Saroj Khan passes away at 7110:50 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Kashmiri lives also matter, says Mehwish Hayat10:15 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020