Fighter pilot dies in Indian jet crash
Sanjay Chauhan was on a routine training mission in the remote Kutch desert region of Gujarat state when he crashed, air force officials said.
"The pilot died in the crash and we have ordered an inquiry in the accident," an IAF official told AFP.
It was not immediately clear what caused the single-seat Jaguar jet to crash. More than 30 fighters have crashed in India since 2012, with most accidents blamed on aging jets.
More than 170 Air Force pilots have died in accidents in the past three decades, mostly in incidents involving Soviet-era MiGs -- unflatteringly dubbed "flying coffins".
Last May, two air force pilots were killed after their Russian-made jet crashed near the border with China.
The nearly 160 European-made Jaguars in the Indian Air Force's active fleet were mostly inducted in the early 1980s.
- Russian President Putin felicitates Pakistan on Diamond Jubilee ...06:44 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Saudi Arabia allows all types of visitors to perform Umrah05:52 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- PM Shehbaz inaugurates Islamabad’s Rawal Dam flyover05:29 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan’s re-recorded national anthem is out on diamond jubilee of ...04:54 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Aima Baig's new bold photos receive severe backlash02:53 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Shahzeb Khanzada's new shirtless photo goes viral03:37 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Ayeza Khan’s new swimming pool video sets internet on fire11:23 AM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022