India's diamond merchant takes 300 staff, families on 10-day paid holiday
The merchant, Savji Dholakia, who runs Surat and Mumbai-based Shree Ramkrishna Exports, has declared a 15-day holiday at his offices and booked an AC special train at a reported cost of Rs9 million to facilitate the travel of his workers.
Dholakia, known for his generous Diwali gifts, recently made headlines after handing over 1,000 cars and 400 apartments ahead of the Hindu festival.
Dholakia, who owns the Hare Krishna Exports, distributed the flats and cars as Diwali bonuses to his best employees.
The company said it would also contribute Rs5,000 to loan installments for five years; a major part will go from the employees' salary.
"Our employer treats us like his own family members and travels with us," said an employee of the organization, who did not wish to be named.
Last year, the company similarly gave 491 cars and 200 flats to its employees. The year before that, it spent Rs500 million on performance incentives, Dholakia said.
The billionaire, who grew up in Amreli in the Saurashtra region, set up his business with a loan from his uncle. Recently, he made headlines worldwide after sending his son to Kerala with just three sets of clothes and little else, to earn a living on odd jobs.
- COVID-19: Punjab University announces 20% concession in fees06:46 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Covid scare at G7 meeting after Indian delegates test positive06:39 PM | 5 May, 2021
- IMF loan conditions carry political cost, says Pakistan finance ...06:26 PM | 5 May, 2021
- HBL enables e-Commerce Transactions for all PayPak Cards05:43 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Punjab announces complete lockdown from May 805:33 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Nazish Jahangir sheds light on the controversy with Mohsin Abbas ...02:10 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Eshal Fayyaz gets candid about her marriage rumours with ...01:47 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Deepika Padukone, family test positive as India’s coronavirus surge ...10:54 AM | 5 May, 2021