Bernie Sanders presented with Sindhi Ajrak for his pro-Kashmir stance
Sanders was presented with this honour during his campaign at Houston.
— zabeer (@zuhbeer) August 31, 2019
The Senator from Vermont had earlier spoken against the ongoing unrest in Indian-occupied Kashmir, it was a gesture in recognition of his pro-Kashmir stance.
US Senator Bernie Sanders said on Sunday that India’s move to annex occupied Kashmir was “unacceptable”, calling on the BJP government to lift the curfew in the disputed valley.
"India’s action [in Kashmir] is unacceptable and the communications blockade must be lifted immediately, and the US government must be speak out boldly in support of international humanitarian live and in support of a UN backed peaceful resolution" @BernieSanders #isnacon pic.twitter.com/PrvgYzfqPs— People for Bernie (@People4Bernie) August 31, 2019
Sanders, who is a Democratic presidential hopeful for the US Elections 2020, said he is ‘deeply concerned about the situation in Kashmir where the Indian government has revoked Kashmiri autonomy, cracked down on dissent and instituted a communications blackout’.
“The crackdown in the name of security is also denying the Kashmiri people access to medical care. Even many respected doctors in India have acknowledged that the Indian government-imposed restrictions on travel are threatening the life-saving care that patients need,” he said while addressing the 56th Convention of Islamic Society of North America (ISNA).
“The communications blockade must be lifted immediately and the United States government must speak out boldly in support of international humanitarian law and in support of a UN-backed peaceful resolution that respects the will of the Kashmiri people,” the senator stated.
India's Kashmir move unacceptable, says US ... 06:15 PM | 1 Sep, 2019
WASHINTON - US Senator Bernie Sanders said on Sunday that India's move to annex occupied Kashmir was "unacceptable", ...
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more updates!
- ‘Disappointed yet again,’ says Babar Azam after ECB calls of ...10:17 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Avenfield case – NAB to auction Nawaz Sharif’s properties in ...09:25 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Babar Masih wins Pakistan silver medal at IBSF 6-Red Snooker World Cup08:42 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- PM Imran meets Pakistan’s T20 World Cup squad tomorrow08:11 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Neha Rajpoot and Shahbaz Taseer spark marriage rumours05:00 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Birthday wishes pour in for Kareena Kapoor Khan03:16 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Juhi Chawla shares a throwback clip from her first TV show03:47 PM | 21 Sep, 2021