Germany's cabinet passes bill to fine social media on not removing hateful posts
According to international media, German Justice Minister Heiko Maas said that companies providing such online platforms to public are responsible for deleting inciting and defamatory content.
Maas added, “Just like on the streets, there is also no room for criminal incitement on social networks.”
The minister added that rules to curb hate speech and "fake news" will ultimately have to be taken at the European level to be effective.
Despite signing a code of conduct, including a resolve to remove hate speech within 24 hours, Facebook removed only 39 percent of criminal content and Twitter deleted only one percent, Maas shared details of a government survey
The bill will be approved from parliament to implement it.
According to Aljazeera, a spokesman for Facebook - which has 29 million active users in Germany, more than one-third of the total population - said the company was making serious efforts to remove illegal content, but showed reservations at the draft law.
A spokesman for Twitter refused to comment on the new bill, but said the company had introduced number of changes in recent weeks to control those who have abusive behaviour and barred them from creating new accounts.
- Pakistan’s ‘best bank' denies trans rights activist an account ...11:52 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan Air Force chief meets Turkish defence industries head11:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Woman accusing Babar Azam of sexual abuse says video of her ...11:08 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Punjab CM Buzdar lays foundation stone of Sheikhupura-Gujranwala road10:45 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- US threatens India with sanctions over purchase of Russian S-400 air ...10:39 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Selena Gomez shares the reason behind calling out Mark Zuckerberg ...07:32 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 30th birthday04:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Details of Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal's wedding revealed03:58 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- #2020InReview – Pakistan's initiatives in the year 202010:55 PM | 4 Jan, 2021