Norway to build world's first sea tunnel for ships
The 1,700-metre long passageway, burrowed through a piece of rocky peninsula in western Norway, will allow vessels to avoid a treacherous part of sea.
It will be 36 metres wide and 49 metres tall and is estimated to cost at least 2.7 billion kroner (US$314 million).
Norwegian Transportation Minister Ketil Solvik-Olsen said that sea currents and underwater topography in this part of the country's southwestern coast "result in particularly complex wave conditions."
"We are pleased that the ship tunnel now becomes reality," Solvik-Olsen said earlier this week while presenting a comprehensive transport plan for the period 2018-2029.
Project manager Terje Andreassen said engineers will have to blast out an estimated eight million tons of rock to build the tunnel. Construction is expected to start at the earliest in 2019.
It should take between three and four years to build, with work to begin in the first half of the multi-year plan, the government said.
Under the plan, passenger traffic will be given priority but leisure boats and other vessels can also use the tunnel. It will be free of charge for vessels measuring less than 70 metres, and vessels longer than that would have to be led.
Vessels sailing through the tunnel likely will get slot times from a traffic centre - like planes at an airport - to avoid congestion.
The project is estimated to cost 2.7 billion kroner (295 million euros, $315 million).
- Shehbaz Sharif, son Hamza released from Lahore jail on parole04:23 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- FM Qureshi discusses Islamophobia, Kashmir situation with OIC ...03:08 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Meet Pakistan's first transgender lawyer02:20 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- PM Imran to nominate Gilgit Baltistan CM today01:18 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Indian Navy's MiG-29K crashes into Arabian Sea, pilot missing12:32 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- No, Ataullah Esakhailvi is not dead!11:59 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Urwa Hocane's father responds to 'separation' with Farhan Saeed07:25 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Nabeel Zuberi takes lead role in Aulaad05:29 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020