Would the decision on mercy petition of Kulbhushan Jadhav bring 'good news'?
According to media reports, Foreign Secretary Tehmina Janjua, the secretaries of Interior Ministry and Law Ministry attended the meeting on Friday.
Earlier, on Thursday, the Director General Inter-Services Public Relations had indicated that he will would ‘good news’ soon on Kulbhushan Jadhav as the mercy petition pending with Pakistan Army Chief was at the final stage. Though he didn't spell it out, the "good news" for Pakistan is likely to be the army chief turning down Jadhav's mercy petition, clearing the way for his execution.
"A news on the Kulbhushan Jadhav case could be expected anytime soon", Major General Asif Ghafoor told the reporters.
Meanwhile, friends of Kulbhushan Jadhav on Friday expressed confidence in his release and said they are waiting for the day when the Indian Navy officer will return to the country safely, reports Indian media.
"We are expecting good news. We just want Kulbhushan to return back to India. I will be very happy if it happens," Tulsidas Pawar, a friend of Jadhav said.
Another friend of Jadhav, Vandana Pawar echoed similar emotions and said even Jadhav's parents are eagerly waiting to meet him.
Jadhav in June had sought mercy from the Pakistan Army chief over the death sentence after his plea to an appellate court was rejected. His execution was stayed after India moved the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
On September 27, Foreign Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif claimed that a proposal was made to swap Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav for a jailed terrorist in Afghanistan, who was responsible for the horrific 2014 Peshawar school attack.
However, India vehemently denied the claim.
"The terrorist who killed children in APS (Army Public School) in Peshawar is in Afghan custody. The National Security Advisor (NSA) told me that we can exchange that terrorist with the terrorist you have, which is Kulbhushan Jadhav," Khawaja Muhammad Asif claimed during the Asia Society talk in New York last week.
Jadhav, a 46-year-old Indian Navy officer, was in April sentenced to death by Field General Court Martial on charges of his involvement in espionage and sabotage activities against Pakistan.
- Naftali Bennett brings Netanyahu's 12-year rule to an end, takes over ...01:29 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- ISPR releases first episode of military reality show ‘60 Hours to ...11:43 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Congress leader's pro-Kashmir remarks draw criticism from BJP09:06 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan condemns Indian army for killing another three Kashmiris07:39 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan felicitates UK on Queen’s 95th official birthday07:02 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Hira Mani opens up about supporting Asim Azhar during recent ...05:40 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic leaves fans stunned with sizzling beach ...03:37 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Tiger Shroff’s mother Ayesha wishes Disha Patani on her birthday12:49 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021