A Regal Decision: SHAHI announces total removal of Betel Nut from its Supari products
This step comes as a result of an expensive and lengthy legal battle surrounding the health concerns, legal import, and sale of Gutka and Chalia, [crushed betel nut-based], in the South Asian country.
“Even when you win in most cases you end up losing a lot. It is this weapon that the minions of government use to make citizens surrender to graft,” says the Karachi-based company, which is famous for its mouth fresheners and snacks.
With gratitude to all its customers, who have enjoyed its products for decades, the company has removed Supari from our products; hence for the time being until import of legal Supari is made practical in Pakistan.
SHAHI, which started its operations in 1973, has also appealed to its loyal patrons, and all those who have been enjoying the unique taste for decades and all Pakistanis who consume the betel nuts in any form, to “please give up eating Chalia until it is imported legally.”
According to a rough estimate, Rs150 billion worth of Chalia was smuggled into the country during the previous government, bringing a loss of Rs44 billion to the national revenue.
- FM Qureshi inaugurates new Pakistan embassy building in Doha11:23 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- PSL 2020 – Match 11: Peshawar Zalmi beat Lahore Qalandars by 16 runs11:13 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- At least 30 dead, dozens injured in Rohri train crash11:07 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- UN alarmed after ongoing anti-Muslim violence leaves 42 dead in India10:54 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Fracture rules Bismah Maroof out of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 202010:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Canada will no longer pay for Harry and Meghan's security03:56 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Here's what Navin Waqar does to stay fit03:36 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Scientists think they know how stress causes grey hair03:04 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019