A Regal Decision: SHAHI announces total removal of Betel Nut from its Supari products
This step comes as a result of an expensive and lengthy legal battle surrounding the health concerns, legal import, and sale of Gutka and Chalia, [crushed betel nut-based], in the South Asian country.
“Even when you win in most cases you end up losing a lot. It is this weapon that the minions of government use to make citizens surrender to graft,” says the Karachi-based company, which is famous for its mouth fresheners and snacks.
With gratitude to all its customers, who have enjoyed its products for decades, the company has removed Supari from our products; hence for the time being until import of legal Supari is made practical in Pakistan.
SHAHI, which started its operations in 1973, has also appealed to its loyal patrons, and all those who have been enjoying the unique taste for decades and all Pakistanis who consume the betel nuts in any form, to “please give up eating Chalia until it is imported legally.”
According to a rough estimate, Rs150 billion worth of Chalia was smuggled into the country during the previous government, bringing a loss of Rs44 billion to the national revenue.
- Punjab’s youngest MPA Sania Ashiq tests positive for coronavirus08:53 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Covid-19: Parks, recreational places to remain closed on Eidul Azha ...08:03 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Subsidy announced for first 100,000 units of Naya Pakistan housing ...07:57 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Coronavirus — German Embassy makes announcement for Pakistanis ...06:51 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- AIDS patients being provided free treatment, Pakistan parliament told06:32 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Actress Naya Rivera presumed dead after disappearance on boat trip ...01:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020