State Bank issues stern warning against cryptocurrency transactions in Pakistan
According to a circular issued by the central bank, the Virtual Currencies/Coins/Tokens provide a high degree of anonymity and potentially can be used for facilitating illegal activities.
"The communique Virtual Currencies (VCs) like Bitcoin, Litecoin, Pakcoin, OneCoin, DasCoin, Pay Diamond etc. or Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) tokens are not legal tender, issued or guaranteed by the Government of Pakistan," stated the regulator.
The financial institution highlighted three main risks involved with dealing in digital currency including high price volatility due to speculations, failure/closure of Virtual Currency exchanges due to official regulations and probable hacking.
State Bank also cautioned the general public against pyramid style investment schemes and coins saying the move can inflict a huge financial loss.
"The General Public in their own interest is advised to be cautious of and refrain from indulging in activities relating to mining, trading, exchanging, transferring value, promoting and investing of Virtual Currencies/Coins/Tokens." notified the bank.
It is noteworthy that the trade volume in digital currencies remains low in the country, however, a score of Pakistani tech-savvy buffs got attracted to the currency after a meteoric rise in the worth of bitcoin.
Bitcoin is currently priced at 6,850.92 US Dollar, however, it rose to near $19,780 in December last year.
- NFTP opens admissions for freelancers nationwide12:49 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Policeman shot dead in Lahore raid amid crackdown on PTI workers12:32 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Political cousin who? Tahirul Qadri tells his supporters not to join ...11:57 AM | 24 May, 2022
- UN to honour posthumously six Pakistani peacekeeper troops11:04 AM | 24 May, 2022
- Imran Khan terms police raids on houses of PTI leaders 'brutal ...10:23 AM | 24 May, 2022
- Minal Khan's new selfies with shirtless Ahsan at beach go viral06:41 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Abrarul Haq slams Karan Johar for stealing ‘Nach Punjaban’05:54 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Watch - Indian singer Arijit Singh says he is coming to Pakistan05:30 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022