State Bank issues stern warning against cryptocurrency transactions in Pakistan
According to a circular issued by the central bank, the Virtual Currencies/Coins/Tokens provide a high degree of anonymity and potentially can be used for facilitating illegal activities.
"The communique Virtual Currencies (VCs) like Bitcoin, Litecoin, Pakcoin, OneCoin, DasCoin, Pay Diamond etc. or Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) tokens are not legal tender, issued or guaranteed by the Government of Pakistan," stated the regulator.
The financial institution highlighted three main risks involved with dealing in digital currency including high price volatility due to speculations, failure/closure of Virtual Currency exchanges due to official regulations and probable hacking.
State Bank also cautioned the general public against pyramid style investment schemes and coins saying the move can inflict a huge financial loss.
"The General Public in their own interest is advised to be cautious of and refrain from indulging in activities relating to mining, trading, exchanging, transferring value, promoting and investing of Virtual Currencies/Coins/Tokens." notified the bank.
It is noteworthy that the trade volume in digital currencies remains low in the country, however, a score of Pakistani tech-savvy buffs got attracted to the currency after a meteoric rise in the worth of bitcoin.
Bitcoin is currently priced at 6,850.92 US Dollar, however, it rose to near $19,780 in December last year.
- Justice Qazi Faez Isa to hear contempt case against Fawad Chaudhry on ...10:36 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan cricket squad leaves for Zimbabwe after successful South ...10:05 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Babar Azam’s ‘late glance’ shot is new sensation on social ...08:09 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas releases his rendition of Qaseedah Burdah Shareef05:59 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Mustafa Jaane Rehmat – Atif Aslam's naat crosses 1.6 million views ...05:48 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Hira and Mani celebrate 13th wedding anniversary05:41 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021