Indian PM Modi hopes Kashmir's 'historic' move would reduce separatist sentiments
In an address to the nation on Thursday, the premier admitted that the decision has not been universally praised, but hastened to add that it was very natural in a democracy that some people are in favour of this decision and some have differences over it.
PM Modi said the central government is also responding to the debate on it as this is our democratic responsibility. Urging the critics to keep national interest paramount, he said that everyone must help the government give Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh a new direction.
“I have full faith that the people of Jammu and Kashmir, after defeating separatism, will move forward with new hopes and aspirations,” he shared.
The Indian premier insinuated that the special status had not given anything other than terrorism, separatism, nepotism and big corruption.
Modi said he respected opposition politicians and prominent Kashmiris who have opposed the government's strong-arm tactics.
The BJP leader did not promise that prominent Kashmiri politicians would be released from detention, nor an end to the curfew imposed since the early hours of Monday.
Articles 370, 35A SCRAPPED: Rajya Sabha passes ... 07:50 PM | 5 Aug, 2019
NEW DELHI – The Rajya Sabha or Council of States is the upper house of the bicameral Indian parliament on Monday ...
However, he said he hoped Kashmiris would be able to celebrate the Islamic holiday of Eid (which begins on Sunday) without disruption.
“I want to assure my Jammu and Kashmir colleagues that slowly things will become normal and their problems will reduce,” he observed.
The Indian premier claimed that most of the Kashmiri brothers have welcomed the 'freedom from Article 370' - in what appears to be a weird claim considering the situation of the restive valley.
The premier assured the people of Kashmir that the union territory status of J&K will not be permanent, adding that the decision to keep J&K under Centre’s rule for a stipulated period of time was made after a lot of thought.
“The reason is important to understand. Ever since Governor Rule has been implemented there, good governance and development has been seen on the ground. The schemes that were once only on paper, have now been implemented," he said.
The Prime Minister said that elections in Jammu and Kashmir will be held soon assuring people of Kashmir that they will continue to choose their leaders like before and their CM like earlier, but the new paradigm change will improve the situation in the state.
India ramps up troops, forcing thousands to flee ... 05:00 PM | 3 Aug, 2019
SRINAGAR – Under a cover of ‘threats of militant attacks’, India is deploying over 35,000 additional paramilitary ...
The Prime Minister said that all government employees in Jammu and Kashmir, including those from the J&K Police, will get the same benefits as government employees in other union territories.
He continued that very soon, in Jammu and Kashmir, all financial posts will be filled, creating employment opportunities for the youth.
The Indian premier said that benefits of central schemes will now extend to the region, adding that the decision fulfills the dreams of Sardar Patel, B.R Ambedkar and crores of patriots.
- Cristiano Ronaldo will not start for Portugal in match against ...12:25 AM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Achraf Hakimi helps Morocco knock Spain out of World Cup on penalties12:02 AM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan to hold next general election in October 2023 after digital ...11:28 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- 'Ghani Syaani' – Twitter goes gaga over Shehnaaz Gill and MC ...10:51 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Bohemia beats Aima Baig in Go-karting08:51 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Man who stole Lady Gaga's dogs sentenced to 21 years in prison09:14 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022