Decade long curfew ends in Baghdad
A large crowd gathered at Baghdad's central Tahrir Square to celebrate the occasion as security forces kept a visible presence on the streets.
Ending the curfew and "demilitarizing" several neighborhoods is part of a campaign to normalize life in Iraq's war-blighted capital. Officials hope to demonstrate that Baghdad no longer faces a threat from Islamic State, the militant group which seized large areas of northern and western Iraq last year.
Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, a moderate Shi'ite Islamist who took office in September, has struggled to develop a broad support base.
Baghdad police chief Shaker Abdul Rida Asadi said the lifting of the curfew showed Iraq's security forces are becoming more competent in tackling the issue of violence.
- Infinix NOTE10 Pro launched in Pakistan, price, sale info, offers, ...12:09 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-May-18-Updated 10:30 ...09:58 AM | 18 May, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 18 May 202109:41 AM | 18 May, 2021
- Bill Gates was ‘having an affair’ with a woman at Microsoft11:53 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Miss Mexico Andrea Meza crowned Miss Universe 202105:43 PM | 17 May, 2021
- #JusticeForZuhaMalik trends after TikToker shares videos of torture ...06:22 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021