Huawei WiFi modules removed from Safe City's surveillance system
The PSCA told BBC that the Chinese firm had previously mentioned the cards in its bidding documents, however, a source involved in the project suggested the reference was uncertain.
Two people involved in the surveillance project brought the attention of the BBC to the matter anonymously and contended that Huawei had never provided an app to make use of the wi-fi link.
They say the cabinets could already be managed remotely via the surveillance system's main network.
On the other hand, a spokesman for Huawei said there had been a "misunderstanding" adding that the cards had been installed to provide diagnostic information, without revealing further details.
It is still not sure whether the cards created a vulnerability or not and as per a source, there had not been an opportunity to test if they could be exploited before being detached.
"It is always [the] choice of the parties in a contract to finalise the technical details and modules as per their requirements and local conditions," added Akbar Nasir Khan.
The official confirmed that PSCA denies any threats to the security of the project [and the] system was continuously checked by consultants, including reputed firms from the UK.
Lahore's Safe City scheme was first announced in 2016 after the government tried to tackle the menace of terrorism through technology.
The system comprises a vast surveillance network of cameras and other sensors, which also help the authority spot traffic violators.
- Teenage girl killed in Indian unprovoked ceasefire violations along ...04:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- PM Imran expresses pain and grief over loss of lives in Beirut ...03:36 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- India imposes curfew, restrictions in Occupied Kashmir to prevent ...02:09 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- If offered, I would love to work in Pakistan: Engin Altan Düzyatan01:53 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- Saba Qamar, Bilal Ashraf & others grieve over the tragic explosions ...01:10 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020