Huawei WiFi modules removed from Safe City's surveillance system
The PSCA told BBC that the Chinese firm had previously mentioned the cards in its bidding documents, however, a source involved in the project suggested the reference was uncertain.
Two people involved in the surveillance project brought the attention of the BBC to the matter anonymously and contended that Huawei had never provided an app to make use of the wi-fi link.
They say the cabinets could already be managed remotely via the surveillance system's main network.
On the other hand, a spokesman for Huawei said there had been a "misunderstanding" adding that the cards had been installed to provide diagnostic information, without revealing further details.
It is still not sure whether the cards created a vulnerability or not and as per a source, there had not been an opportunity to test if they could be exploited before being detached.
"It is always [the] choice of the parties in a contract to finalise the technical details and modules as per their requirements and local conditions," added Akbar Nasir Khan.
The official confirmed that PSCA denies any threats to the security of the project [and the] system was continuously checked by consultants, including reputed firms from the UK.
Lahore's Safe City scheme was first announced in 2016 after the government tried to tackle the menace of terrorism through technology.
The system comprises a vast surveillance network of cameras and other sensors, which also help the authority spot traffic violators.
- Masoumeh Ebtekar: Iran's vice president infected by coronavirus11:54 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Hadi Khosrowshahi: Iran's ex-ambassador to Vatican dies of coronavirus11:47 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Coronavirus: Pakistan's Aviation division establishes emergency ...11:36 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan, Qatar agree to further enhance economic cooperation11:19 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pink Floyd: PM Imran tweets Roger Waters’ video criticising ...11:10 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- TikTok is cancer, says Feroze Khan03:05 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Celebrities speak out against the brutal treatment of Muslims in Delhi02:41 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- ‘Ehd-e-Wafa’ makers planning to air finale in cinemas02:15 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019