Saudis introduce new school uniform for girls, parents love it
According to the new guidelines, all girls studying in Saudi public schools, Quran memorization schools and schools for illiterate adult women have to wear new uniforms for the 2015-16 academic year.
Parents have come out in support for the new uniform, which they describe as modest.
According to the guidelines, the uniform for primary school students consists of a long-sleeved white blouse with a long rose-coloured sleeveless dress.
The junior high uniform comprises a long dark green skirt and a long-sleeved white blouse whereas the uniform of high school students includes a long navy blue skirt with a long-sleeved white blouse.
Samah Abass is a Saudi mother of three girls who attend a public school in Jeddah. “Last year, the uniforms of primary school students were blue, while the uniform for junior high students was pink and that of high school students was yellow. All of the colors were bright and translucent,” she said.
“You could see the girls’ bodies as some of them do not wear leggings or skirts under their dresses. The new uniform is better since it is made of darker colors that cover students’ bodies,” she added.
Asia Farsi’s daughter attends a public school in Madinah. She said: “My daughter Jana is a junior high student. I have so far purchased just one uniform for my daughter. I do not know how many uniforms I will be buying in the new academic year.
“I usually spend a normal amount of money, which is around SR100. I feel the new uniform is normal. I do not specially like it, nor do I hate it.”
Though parents largely like the new uniforms, some students feel they are not fashionable. Jana Farsi, daughter of Asia Farsi, said she does “not like the new uniform.”
Saudi parents spend considerable amounts of money each year on school uniforms. Those purchased readymade are considerably cheaper than those tailor-made.
Readymade uniforms cost around 50 Saudi Riyal whereas a tailor-made uniform could cost around SR80.
Most parents always buy new uniforms every year. Hence, the new rule has not affected them financially.
- Nepal’s Dor Bahadur Khapangi becomes world’s shortest teenager11:16 AM | 26 May, 2022
- Five ‘PTI workers’ dead, 18 security officials injured in Azadi ...10:30 AM | 26 May, 2022
- Mishi Khan, Mariyam Nafees participate in Imran Khan’s Azadi March ...09:37 AM | 26 May, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:53 AM | 26 May, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 26 May 202208:30 AM | 26 May, 2022
- Why Saba Qamar rejected Bollywood films?07:22 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022