Riz Ahmed's latest Instagram post promotes Sufi Islam and mysticism
His latest Instagram post shows Riz visiting a Sufi shrine where he not only shows the world how diverse the ways of prayer and worship can be but also spreads much needed light on the exoticized Sufi community.
He wrote, speaking of the many misconceptions associated to Islam and Sufi practices, “Many people think of Islam as austere and somber. But at Sufi shrines you will find disco lighting, rhythmic chanting, and disciples with swami-esque matted dreadlocks. Sufi Islam, often associated with the poet Rumi, is widely practiced in South Asia.”
He further added, "It has an emphasis on mysticism and purity of heart rather than a fixation with scriptural literalism. It is an open spirituality, borrowing from cultural customs & folklore. Local saints are celebrated and mourned at shrines through singing, transcendental spinning, and feeding the poor. Sufi shrines have been bombed by extremists in recent years. This partly due to the spread of Salafi / Wahhabi Islam which aims to strip local ‘superstitions’ and ‘unorthodox practices’ out of the religion."
It is really inspiring to see an artist and a celebrity use his fame and platform to promote a seriously romanticized and misunderstood side of Islam in a positive and educational way.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - 13 June 202109:17 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 13 June 202108:36 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Iranian-American arrested for entering Pakistan on fake documents05:13 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 7 inspirational small business ideas by young entrepreneur Faizan ...10:47 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- NAB arrests Khursheed Shah’s son in asset beyond means case (VIDEO)10:31 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Sonali Bendre proudly shares transformation on Cancer Survivors’ Day05:51 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021