India makes history: Top court sends Dalit judge to jail over contempt
The judge, who was to retire on June 11, will spend the last month of his tenure in office and five months thereafter in jail.
This is the first time in India's judicial history that a high court judge has been jailed for contempt.
For the past few months, Justice Karnan has been on a collision course with the judges of the Supreme Court.
The stand-off dates from January, when Justice Karnan wrote a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagging the names of 20 "corrupt judges" and three senior law officials.
Even though he failed to provide any evidence against those named in the list, he urged PM Modi to investigate and take action against them.
After that he was summoned before the top court and barred from performing any judicial or administrative functions.
On Monday, he passed an unprecedented order sentencing India's Chief Justice, and seven other judges of the Supreme Court, to five years in prison. The order said the judges were guilty of discrimination and harassment, among other charges.
On Tuesday, the Supreme Court ordered West Bengal DGP to take into custody the disgraced judge, “who never tired in playing his Dalit background to berate and pass unconscionable orders against the seven judges."
But, the Supreme Court said contempt power does not recognise or differentiate who is what - a judge or a common man. "Whosoever commits contempt gets punished," the bench said while sentencing Justice Karnan.
Justice Karnan was sentenced in absentia. Taking note of his past purported judicial orders passed despite being stripped of judicial work, the Supreme Court also barred media from reporting his statements in future.
- Stranded crew of seized PIA plane returns to Pakistan today06:09 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- PDM rallies to reach Islamabad by 1pm tomorrow, announces Fazlur ...05:33 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- ECP suspends 154 MPs including Fawad Chaudhry for not filing assets ...05:13 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Samsung sets new standard for flagship mobile processors with Exynos ...04:56 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan condemns Yemen's Houthi attack on Saudi Arabia village04:54 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistani actor Huma Nawab loses Rs0.2 million to online scammers04:10 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Saboor Aly sheds light on the beauty standards of entertainment ...02:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Kim Kardashian hits 200 million followers mark on Instagram01:28 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021