President Alvi trashes PM's advisory to remove Punjab governor Cheema
ISLAMABAD – President Dr Arif Alvi has rejected Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s advice to remove Punjab Governor Omer Sarfraz Cheema who refused to administer oaths to Hamza Shehbaz and members of newly formed provincial cabinet.
A statement issued by the President's Office said the incumbent governor, who is a PTI loyalist, cannot be removed as there was neither any allegation of misconduct nor conviction by any court of law or of any act committed by him that opposed the Constitution of Pakistan.
Citing clause 3 of Article 101 of the Constitution, Alvi maintained that the Governor shall remain in office until president wants to replace him.
President Dr. Arif Alvi strongly rejects Prime Minister’s advice to remove Governor Punjab— The President of Pakistan (@PresOfPakistan) May 9, 2022
The President has conveyed to the Prime Minister of Pakistan that Governor Punjab cannot be removed without his approval. pic.twitter.com/72OIVfKJEW
Alvi added that it was his duty as head of the state to represent the unity of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan in terms of Article 41 of the Constitution.
Punjab Governor Omar Cheema was appointed following the resignation of former governor Chaudhry Sarwar who distanced himself amid no-confidence motion against Buzdar and was removed.
Punjab governor requests soldiers to put CM Hamza ... 12:52 PM | 5 May, 2022
LAHORE – Punjab Governor Omar Sarfraz Cheema said on Wednesday that he will put newly-elected Chief Minister ...
Earlier in the day, Federal Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah commented on the matter and revealed that the President is bound to act on the advice of the Prime Minister, and deviating from it would be unconstitutional.
- Polling for second phase of LG election underway in AJK09:14 AM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:44 AM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 03 December 202208:29 AM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan makes $1 billion bond payment to avert default risk12:51 AM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Shaan says Fawad, Hamza didn't do justice to Punjabi accent in 'The ...11:36 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Pakistani TikTok sensation Ayesha's new videos shock her fans09:59 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- 'Hum Tum Season 2' in the works? Here is what Ahad Raza Mir says11:16 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Sania Mirza shares more pictures with son amid divorce rumours07:53 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022