'Not my president': Trump victory sparks angry protests across United States
The demonstrations reflected sadness, anger and bursts of rage. Crowds openly disavowed the president-elect and a few resorted to vandalism.
Many posted photos and videos to Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter. As many as 1,500 to 3,000 people were estimated to be marching through the campus, according to authorities.
In Oakland -- where police said between 60 and 70 protesters gathered in the city's downtown -- a female protester who was blocking traffic suffered major injuries after being hit by a car on Highway 24, the ABC News reported.
— ABC7 News (@abc7newsbayarea) November 9, 2016
Protesters - who were met by police officers carrying long batons and wearing riot gear, helmets, gas masks - set small fires on the street, as well. Protesters also burned Trump in effigy, KNTV reported.
Four engine companies from the Oakland Fire Department responded to extinguish the fires, according to KGO-TV in San Francisco.
A small number of arrests for disobedience and vandalism were made, according to police.
— Emaan Baqai (@EmaanBaqai) November 9, 2016
Officials said between 1,500 and 3,000 students marched through the campus.
Below, a video posted by a student protester:
— Fernanda (@fm09__) November 9, 2016
About 500 students marched through the La Jolla campus of UC San Diego, protesting Trump’s win and chanting his name with an expletive.
In downtown L.A., anger simmered as a crowd gathered near City Hall. Some property was defaced, including a fence scrawled with graffiti insulting Trump.
But the mood was more buoyant at the president-elect’s star on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood, where a small crowd of about 30 Trump supporters gathered about 1 a.m. They posed for pictures and chanted with delight.
“This is our president,” they cheered as they tried to shout down a small band of counter-protesters.
The crowd, many of them wearing the candidate’s signature “Make America Great Again” hats, chanted “USA” several times.
- Petroleum dealers warns of countrywide strike over low profit10:48 AM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Muzaffar Ali Ranja appointed chairman of Prime Minister’s ...09:59 AM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Shoaib Akhtar shares unique view of Holy Kaaba09:04 AM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:34 AM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Iqra Aziz and Yasir Hussain share stunning pictures from vacation09:27 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Hassan Ali’s adorable birthday celebration with wife goes viral04:49 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Komal Baig blessed with a baby boy04:13 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022