'Not my president': Trump victory sparks angry protests across United States
The demonstrations reflected sadness, anger and bursts of rage. Crowds openly disavowed the president-elect and a few resorted to vandalism.
Many posted photos and videos to Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter. As many as 1,500 to 3,000 people were estimated to be marching through the campus, according to authorities.
In Oakland -- where police said between 60 and 70 protesters gathered in the city's downtown -- a female protester who was blocking traffic suffered major injuries after being hit by a car on Highway 24, the ABC News reported.
— ABC7 News (@abc7newsbayarea) November 9, 2016
Protesters - who were met by police officers carrying long batons and wearing riot gear, helmets, gas masks - set small fires on the street, as well. Protesters also burned Trump in effigy, KNTV reported.
Four engine companies from the Oakland Fire Department responded to extinguish the fires, according to KGO-TV in San Francisco.
A small number of arrests for disobedience and vandalism were made, according to police.
— Emaan Baqai (@EmaanBaqai) November 9, 2016
Officials said between 1,500 and 3,000 students marched through the campus.
Below, a video posted by a student protester:
— Fernanda (@fm09__) November 9, 2016
About 500 students marched through the La Jolla campus of UC San Diego, protesting Trump’s win and chanting his name with an expletive.
In downtown L.A., anger simmered as a crowd gathered near City Hall. Some property was defaced, including a fence scrawled with graffiti insulting Trump.
But the mood was more buoyant at the president-elect’s star on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood, where a small crowd of about 30 Trump supporters gathered about 1 a.m. They posed for pictures and chanted with delight.
“This is our president,” they cheered as they tried to shout down a small band of counter-protesters.
The crowd, many of them wearing the candidate’s signature “Make America Great Again” hats, chanted “USA” several times.
- Pakistani cabinet approves Election Amendment Bill 2022 amid rising ...11:47 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Sajal Ali's kind words for Ahad Raza Mir's aunt show kindness must ...11:15 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Dominant Pakistan rout host Indonesia 13-0 at Asia Hockey Cup10:44 PM | 24 May, 2022
- No monkeypox case detected in Pakistan, says top health body09:54 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Srha Asghar and Rabya Kulsoom's dance video goes viral06:18 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Humayun Saeed updates fans about upcoming series based on Salahuddin ...07:00 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022