Pakistan's first-ever liver auto-transplantation carried out at Karachi hospital
KARACHI – Surgeons in Karachi performed Pakistan’s first ever liver auto-transplantation procedure at the Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS), marking a major medical development.
Eminent liver transplant surgeon Prof Dr Faisal Dar led the procedure along with his team, comprising Dr Jahanzeb Hyder, Dr Muhammad Iqbal, and others, to treat a 28-year-old cancer patient.
Cancer had damaged some portion of the liver and some important veins of the patient, who hails from Zhob town of Balochistan.
Officials said that the tumor was surgically removed and damaged veins were restored after taking live out of the body, adding that the organ was successfully re-implanted.
The DUHS said that the patient is recovering.
Vice-Chancellor, Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS), Prof Saeed Quraishy said on Saturday that only around 20 such procedures have been carried out in the entire world, Geo News reported.
Dr Jahanzeb Hyder said Pakistan annually needs hundreds of liver transplants because of liver cancers, and damage due to hepatitis B and C.
Urging people to donate parts of their livers, he said that it is the only organ in the body that can regenerate itself.
Dr Uzman Tariq becomes first ever Pakistani ... 05:08 PM | 9 Apr, 2021
A Pakistani doctor has brought laurels to the homeland with his brilliant achievement at an international examination ...
- Infinix NOTE10 Pro launched in Pakistan, price, sale info, offers, ...12:09 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-May-18-Updated 10:30 ...11:54 AM | 18 May, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 18 May 202111:41 AM | 18 May, 2021
- Hindutva extremists lynch Muslim man in Haryana10:40 AM | 18 May, 2021
- Bill Gates was ‘having an affair’ with a woman at Microsoft11:53 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Miss Mexico Andrea Meza crowned Miss Universe 202105:43 PM | 17 May, 2021
- #JusticeForZuhaMalik trends after TikToker shares videos of torture ...06:22 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021