AAP's broom sweeps BJP and Congress in New Delhi
Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party makes one of the most spectacular comebacks in India's electoral history with a landslide 65-14 lead over the BJP according to the trends at 11 am in the Delhi Assembly election.
Kejriwal was leading in the prestigious New Delhi constituency while the BJP's chief ministerial nominee Kiran Bedi was trailing in Krishna Nagar seat, earlier represented by Union minister Dr Harsh Vardhan and considered a traditional stronghold of the party. Congress' Ajay Maken was trailing in the Sadar Bazar seat.
As trends showed AAP's possible victory, Bedi said she will take responsibility if BJP was defeated in the polls. "We (me and Kejriwal) both are competing. We both are playing a match. When we play, only person has to win. If the party wins, it will be a collective victory and if the party loses, I will take the responsibility," Bedi told reporters at her residence.
AAP candidate and former minister Rakhi Bidlan was leading in Mangolpuri constituency in North-West Delhi against her Congress rival Raj Kumar Chouhan. Another former AAP minister Somnath Bharti was ahead in Malviya Nagar constituency in South Delhi over his Congress opponent Yoganand Shastri.
AAP leader and former Minister Manish Sisodia was leading in Patparganj seat in East Delhi against ex-AAP MLA and BJP candidate Vinod Kumar Binny. BJP's Jagdish Mukhi was ahead in Janakpuri.
Former AAP Minister Sourav Bhardwaj was leading from Greater Kailash where Congress' had fielded President Pranab Mukherjee's daughter Sharmistha Mukherjee. AAP's Sharad Chauhan was leading in Narela. AAP was also leading in Mehrauli, Kasturba Nagar and Jangpur.
With early leads giving the party a considerable lead, hundreds of AAP supporters broke into celebrations and raised slogans 'Paanch saal Kejriwal'. Every lead projected on the massive LCD screen set up at AAP's East Patel Nagar office was being cheered by supporters.
- PM aide claims Shehbaz Sharif seeking 'deal for four people'08:15 PM | 16 Jan, 2022
- Genocide Watch warns of impending genocide in Modi's India07:34 PM | 16 Jan, 2022
- 60 political families, two VCs chairmen in Buner join PTI06:59 PM | 16 Jan, 2022
- Anushka Sharma pens emotional note for Virat Kohli as he steps down ...06:13 PM | 16 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021