Air pollution cuts average Pakistani life expectancy by 3.8 years, study
ISLAMABAD – At least 8 million people succumbed to air pollution every year, a new study unveiled staggering revelations.
Burning coal and oil disturb solar radiation and cause global warming while it also releases tiny poisonous particles, PM2.5, which are small enough to penetrate into human lungs and can aggravate respiratory conditions like asthma and can lead to lung cancer, coronary heart disease, strokes, and early death.
Researchers from Harvard collaborating with the universities of Birmingham, Leicester have reported that fossil fuel pollution has shortened the average lifespan in Pakistan by 3.8 years.
Air pollution has reduced lives by more than two years on average worldwide, and at least eight months on average in European countries.
Asia remained the worst-hit region as the average lifespan has been reduced by 4.1 years in China and 3.9 years in India.
'Silent killer': PM Imran announces major steps ... 06:25 PM | 30 Nov, 2019
LAHORE - Prime Minister Imran Khan on Saturday announced revolutionary steps to improve air quality in the country by ...
The recent study has also found a link between higher levels of long-term pollution and more deaths from the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Earlier on Monday, Lahore has been ranked as the second most atmospherically-polluted city in the world as the US Air Quality Index (AQI) highlighted a dismal score of 247 on Monday. Air monitoring agency live monitors show that Lahore is only preceded by Delhi (308 US AQI score).
150 feared dead in India as Himalayan glacier ... 08:15 PM | 7 Feb, 2021
DHERADUN – About a 150 people are missing and feared dead after a Himalayan glacier burst, crashing into a ...
- Saudi FM informs Pakistan’s Qureshi about challenges of organising ...09:08 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- In a historic first, people with mental illness allowed to open a ...07:58 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin ‘to run for Senate’07:15 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Quetta Gladiators win toss, opt bowling against Peshawar ...06:41 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Saudi Arabia cancels Hajj for international pilgrims over COVID-19 ...06:11 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Sonali Bendre proudly shares transformation on Cancer Survivors’ Day05:51 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021