Indonesia airline brings live music to the skies
JAKARTA – Indonesian national flag carrier Garuda is bringing music to the skies with a series of live acoustic concerts on domestic flights, the airline said.
Passengers will be serenaded at 35,000 feet in a scheme aimed at wooing millennials "who want a different flight experience", airline spokesman M. Ikhsan Rosan said.
The carrier held its first in-flight concert on Wednesday, when two musicians performed for a captive audience aboard a flight between the capital, Jakarta, and the holiday island of Bali.
Garuda said sets would last 10 to 15 minutes on select flights, and there would be a focus on promoting upcoming talent.
While it may prove an unforgettable flying experience for some, it may not be everyone's idea of a good time.
In 2017, US airline Southwest introduced live shows on some flights to a mixed reaction from passengers.
Some travellers said they preferred minimum human interaction while flying and said music would distract them from sleeping or reading.
Indonesia is one of the world's fastest-growing aviation markets, but it has come under fresh scrutiny since a fatal Lion Air crash in October last year that killed all 189 people on board.
Garuda said it had embarked on extensive consultation to ensure the concerts posed no threat to safety or security.
"If there is the potential of turbulence, the singer will be directed back to sit in his chair," Rosan said.
- Pakistan announces to reopen all sectors with sops09:47 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Japan extends grant assistance worth 318m JPY to Pakistan09:15 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- PM Imran welcomes UNSC members for again taking up IIOJ&K dispute08:35 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Shan Masood, Muhammad Abbas uplift Pakistan in first England Test12:59 AM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Coronavirus — Public sector schools opened in KP11:45 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- Indian TV actor Sameer Sharma dies by suicide03:26 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- Angelina Jolie wants reconciliation between Brad Pitt and kids02:57 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- I had an inferiority complex and grew up applying fairness creams: ...01:31 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020