Bangladesh court sentences 19 to death in 2004 grenade attack case
The attack in Dhaka on a rally by Sheikh Hasina, at the time in the opposition and now prime minister left her injured and killed 20 people.
Tarique Rahman, son of then-premier and Hasina's ally-turned-archrival Khaleda Zia, was among 49 people on trial, with Rahman charged with criminal conspiracy and multiple counts of murder.
Rahman, 50, has been tried in absentia after he fled the country for London in 2008.
He now leads the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) from exile after Zia was jailed in February for five years for corruption.
"We thank God for the verdict," prosecutor Mosharraf Hossain told reporters on Wednesday amid tight security.
"We hoped that Tarique Rahman would get the death sentence," he said, adding the court observed that Rahman played a key role in the attack.
Hasina was addressing the rally when the grenades exploded and suffered severe injuries in one ear. Among the dead was the wife of a former president.
Four years later, Hasina stormed back to power after leading a secular coalition to a landslide victory in elections in December 2008.
Two other ministers, former heads of the intelligence agencies and police and a key aide of Zia were also facing death sentences in the case.
Three Islamist extremists were also charged over the attack and later executed in a separate trial.
Death sentences are common in Bangladesh, with hundreds of people on death row. All executions are by hanging, a legacy of the British colonial era.
At least nine top Islamist extremists, five leaders of the country's largest Islamist party and a senior opposition leader have been hanged in Bangladesh's jails since 2007.
Rahman's lawyer Sanaullah Mia said the charges against his client were politically motivated.
He questioned the timing of the verdict, saying it was aimed at keeping Rahman out of elections expected for December.
- Martyred PIA pilot’s father questions credibility of plane crash ...08:35 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Two kids drown in River Chenab08:02 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Predatory cop shoots teen boy dead in Kasur on Eid07:24 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Lahore temperature hits 44°C on second day of Eid07:04 PM | 25 May, 2020
- PML-N’s Nehal Hashmi tests positive for COVID-1906:59 PM | 25 May, 2020
- How much does Ahmed Shah earn from Fahad Mustafa’s Jeeto Pakistan?08:41 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Zara Abid presumed dead, not amongst the survivors of PIA plane crash05:13 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Netflix announces Élite season 4 with returning cast members04:07 PM | 23 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020