Oil prices decline in Asian trade
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate for September delivery fell 47 cents to $44.49 while Brent crude for September eased 45 cents to $49.96 in mid-morning trade.
The US Energy Information Administration will release the latest US stockpiles report for the week to August 7 on Wednesday.
Analysts said dealers will focus on production after it rose 52,000 in the previous week, slightly offsetting a 4.4 million drop in overall crude reserves that indicated healthy demand.
London-based research house Capital Economics said the main drivers pressuring oil prices were "signs of a recovery in US production and buoyant OPEC supply".
Dealers predict a slowdown in US output -- and increased demand during the summer driving season -- could whittle down a huge global glut that has been a key reason prices collapsed from a peak of around $120 in June last year.
The Organisation of the Petroleum Export Countries' (OPEC) decision to maintain its output level at around 30 million barrels a day despite sagging demand is also seen as a reason for the abundant supplies.
The move is seen as an attempt by the producer cartel's kingpin Saudi Arabia to defend its market share as it fends off competition from US shale oil.
That policy may be working, with the latest drop in prices prompting "more Western oil companies to shelve investment plans, which will feed back into slower growth in non-OPEC production," Capital Economics said.
- T20 World Cup: Sri Lanka bowl first against Bangladesh02:59 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- On UN Day, Pakistan Army reaffirms resolve to peacekeeping missions02:39 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- United Nations officially came into existence on this day in 194502:00 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- TLP's long march turns into a sit-in as negotiations end in 'success'12:50 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat responds to Tamgha-e-Imtiaz controversy09:55 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Ali Azmat clears the air after demeaning remarks regarding Madam Noor ...10:23 AM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Resham celebrates birthday in style with friends and family03:59 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021