Rangers troops deployed in Lahore after lawyers ransack hospital
LAHORE - The government decided on Wednesday to deploy Rangers troops in the provincial capital for security reasons hours after an angry mob of lawyers attacked on the Punjab Institute of Cardiology (PIC) in a row with doctors.
A notification issued by the interior ministry say that 10 platoons and two companies of the paramilitary force have been deployed at different locations in the city.
They, according to the official order, have been deployed at the Governor HOuse, Lahore GOR I and II, GPO Chowk Mall Road, Punjab Assembly, the Supreme Court Registry, Lahore High Court, Civil Secretariat, Aiwan-e-Adal and the IG office.
A platoon of the security forces will also be deployed at the PIC.
Earlier today, a group of lawyers broke into the emergency ward of the medical facility. The incident happened following alleged torture on a lawyer by doctors a few days ago.
According to media reports, the enraged lawyers broke windows of the emergency ward and several vehicles parked nearby the hospital.
People at the hospital have been forced out into the lawns and patients have been left unattended. Doctors, paramedic staff and nurses either escaped or have been locked inside rooms. At least four patients died during the violence.
- Senators express concern over wheat shortage, price hike10:40 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan Army airlifts 22 LUMS students trapped in Gilgit snow08:02 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Govt allows duty-free import of wheat to tackle crisis07:35 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- PSL 2020 tickets to go up for sale tonight07:08 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Tourism industry sets to take off after govt embraces digitization07:06 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Hira Mani thanks fans for showering her with love01:38 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Fahad Mustafa lauds Humayun Saeed for his acting in MPTH01:24 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Sarmad Khoosat considers withdrawing Zindagi Tamasha after hundreds ...01:01 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019