Minaret of Taj Mahal collapses after heavy rain hits Agra
The 12-feet pillar with a metal finial located at the entry gate named Darwaza-e-Rauza, the main gateway, crashed past midnight after wind speed during the storm crossed 100 km per hour, Indian media reported.
As the pillar fell, the minaret and dome on it broke into several pieces, defacing outlook of the monument. No one injured in the accident.
The Taj Mahal was built by Mogul emperor Shah Jahan, who was grief-stricken by the death of his wife Mumtaz Mahal in childbirth.
With his romantic image, it attracts people across the globe, including film stars, royals and politicians, as thousands of people visit the site daily.
The centuries old mausoleum is India’s most famous tourist attraction, but air pollution is turning the Taj Mahal’s marble facade yellow, leading to parts of the monument being obscured by scaffolding.
- Baby’s head removed from body as Pakistani woman gives birth at ...01:51 AM | 28 Sep, 2021
- School holiday in Lahore today01:35 AM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Inzamam-ul-Haq in hospital after heart attack01:20 AM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Dr Zakir Naik takes to Facebook in search of wife for son12:12 AM | 28 Sep, 2021
- French President Macron comes under egg attack during visit to trade ...11:44 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Maryam Nawaz and Kubra Khan look stunning in similar outfits06:04 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Ertugrul actress Hande Subaşı's singing video goes viral04:25 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Alizeh Shah shares unseen childhood photo05:26 PM | 27 Sep, 2021